Sunday, June 13, 2010

Wine, Beer, Whiskey and Family

Today I spent most of the day being relatively quantitatively unproductive, but I consider today to have been an overall qualitative success. After waking up and lounging around in bed, I had brunch with research and summer friends, and then met up with Nick and Sarah to go down to Uncle Ricky's Bagel Heaven on Broadway and 5th downtown. The latter half of that sentence summarizes most of my day: food and talk with Nick and Sarah. After Uncle Ricky's we went to Gelateria Lisa over in the part of Little Italy for gelatto, to my place for cards, then after a quick trip to PChop, back to my place again for pasta dinner and Law Abiding Citizen.

After hanging out for over ten hours so far, one would think that our conversations covered a varied range of topics, and thankfully that would be correct. Instead of a summary of the overall discussion, this post focuses on one of the title nouns--whiskey. While not directly, the three of us discussed a lot of things about family dynamics, marriage, children and thoughts for the future. In my extended family, and immediate, one of the life little lessons slipped in companionship has been that alcohol is not a huge thing in life. In America, our culture and a lot of parenting, I personally think that it is overly built up as a taboo substance, and although it can lead to potential problems, should not be so overly exaggerated. This unnecessary culmination of caution could be one of the reasons that so many people in college unhealthily binge drink. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that we should be sober Susans, and I am definitely not trying to act like a saint, that'd be hypocritical, however the build up just seems silly to me.

If my memory serves me well, which is mostly reliable despite past concussions, I had my first full beer at around 15. I had my first taste of wine around 12. The first time I tasted whiskey I was either a Junior or Senior in high school. Each of these times were in the company of family; at the family shore trip, at the dinner table, and watching t.v. in the evening with my Dad. Some tastes came easier than others and tastes have developed in an interesting way. Erin will tell you I drink like a man. When it comes to beer, I'm not a fan of IPAs but prefer Hefeweizens. I like most all wines, mainly darker robust reds especially a Cabernet, but every once in a while I'll be "girly" and enjoy a Chardonnay. When it comes to hard liquor, I like vodka, many types of whiskey, gin, but tequila and rum are not my favorites. It goes without saying that Bailey's is delicious.

Not to toot my own horn, but I'd like to think that I've tried a good deal of things thus far in my 20 years and three complete years at college, but I enjoy interaction, and therefore would like to pose a question. To anyone on the internet, friends, strangers and random acquaintances and co-workers who read my blog, what are your favorite drinks, why, and is there anything new you'd recommend? It's still only mid-June in Troy and the summer's heat will need something to quench it's thirst.

If you include cocktails, please kindly describe the recipe the best you can if it's not ridiculously common.

Thanks and I hope to enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Sangria is always awesome in the summer!

    As for hefeweizens, the best one I've had is called Svyturys from Lithuania. Tough to find, but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For Hefewiezens, I'd recommend Franziskaner Weissbier. (It can be picked up at Hoosick Beverage.) Also, I would recommend some similar beers, Troeg's Dreamweaver & Magic Hat's Circus Boy.

    My favorites?
    Beer - I prefer my wheat ales, but the occasional stout is always good. (ie. Brown's Oatmeal Stout)

    Liquor - Gin, Whiskey, Vodka, & Rum. No Tequila please. When discussing specific brands or bottles, it depends on the quality and purpose. Oh, and for rum, none of that coconut crap. Sorry, I just can't stand it.

    Wine - Don't really drink it.

    If you would like to discuss specifics just let me know. I just don't want to rambling on too long here.

    ReplyDelete