Saturday, December 4, 2010

It's Beginning to Sound A Lot Like Christmas

Hark! Hear the sounds of Christmas cheer, sung aloud for all to hear! It is December fourth, the day before the second Sunday of Advent. Tis the season to be jolly! Flurries of snow danced upon the wind yesterday afternoon as I walked back from Nonlinear Programming, and while listening to Pink Martini's version of "Santa Baby" I started to sing along. I have previously mentioned that I do sing to my self out loud when walking places, but carols seem to be especially prone to escaping from my lips.

There is something about Christmas carols that seems to differentiate them from other well known songs and tunes. Whenever one person starts to hum or sing a Christmas carol, you can bet that others nearby or in the room will soon join in. That happened in my apartment on Thursday night and ended in three part harmony. There's a warmth in your heart with Christmas carols. A good friend of mine who is Jewish even knows certain tunes and gets a smile from them. It's not neccessarily the words, or the tunes, but rather a good deal of feeling and attitude that people emulate while caroling that really hooks people.

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas,
Soon the bells will start,
And the thing that will make them ring is the carol that you sing
Right within your heart


Flash a smile, say a prayer, limber up your vocal chords and make the most of the season. It's one of the few times of the year when everyone else is forced to tolerate my horrible singing, so I might as well make the most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment