Monday, April 25, 2011

There's a First Time for Everything


Apologies aside for my lack of blogging, I do want to admit that I have been pretty busy with life, learning and the general disappointment that is Lenovo. That being said, I would like to talk to you today, boys and girls, about a beer. This beer, is not my favorite beer, possibly not the best beer, but is certainly a decent special case because it is an India Pale Ale.

For those of you who do not know me well, or we simply haven't had the pleasure of jointly knocking back a few cold ones, you should know this: I do not like IPA's. I love a good hefeweizen, stout, porter, lager, you name it, however, I really don't like IPAs. It boils down to the hops. The favor simply isn't my cup of tea--or glass of beer. It is surprising then, particularly to myself that I found one I could palate. Granted, it's a "pitch black IPA", but we all have to start somewhere don't we?

The beer that finally got me is Widmer Brothers Brewing's Pitch Black IPA, part of the 924 Series. 924 Russell Street back in Portland is the home of Widmer Brothers. Anywho, this IPA "takes you to the dark side". My approval of it comes from the black malt flavor to give a certain richness I don't normally find in pale ales. Smooth, dark, and hoppy, this brew certainly surprised me. Priced around $9.95 for a four pack at Hoosick Beverage, it didn't pack a punch to my wallet like hops normally do to my mouth.



While I was not converted, I'm more hesitant to give other IPAs a try, but don't expect me to still not make a face when confronted with hops. Baby steps my friends, baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment