Sunday, March 23, 2014

Happiness is in the Eye of the Editor


How do you write about happiness without coming across as an overly idealistic, optimistic, sap?
It just seems that to write about happiness, you need to remove all tone and expression from it
to be taken seriously. Or not even to be taken seriously, but to not instantly be written off without
any second thought to content.

I started to write about appreciating the little things the other morning, and after letting my words sit for a
few hours, I re-read it and gagged on my dripping sappy words. At the time it was so real, so articulate,
so--right that to edit or dissect it seemed a crime against love. Against truth. Against life!

And then the power of self-editing sinks in.

You become the father in Moulin Rouge exclaiming that his son will waste his life away and never amount
to anything.

How do you refrain from self-editing? Is there worth in over-editing? Should I just give fewer f***s?

No comments:

Post a Comment